Chandler Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC)
Date September 25, 2019
Attendance: Kristen Plamenon, Kara Swierz, Erica Chaney, Dena Berg, and Amanda Rivas
The regular meeting of the Chandler Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) was called to order at 7:15pm on September 25, 2019 in Chandler, AZ at the Panera restaurant on Arizona Ave by Kristen Plamendon.
Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.
* Discussed the possibility of 501(c)(3), but we aren’t there just yet.
*Discussed Kristen Plamendon’s upcoming meeting with Dr. Nance at the District Office. Meeting to take place on 10/24.
*Discussed the positive impact Vanessa DiCarlo will have in partnering with CUSD.
*Discussed what type of data we need for mobility issues so we can talk about it with the board. Also discussed the following discussion topics for the meeting with Dr. Nance:
1. Establish steps for better inclusion
2. Why mobility? What is the district’s agenda?
3. Why is mobility good for our children?
4. Reference May email to SPED parents. The policy issue has not changed from the district practice of mobility.
5. Why was there transparency with the parents of the gifted children, but not with the CASE kids?
* Remove any reference to CUSD on the website. Instead, reference “students receiving special education services in Chandler”
* Equity and Inclusion Council: Chandler SEPAC would be happy to speak with Carol Thomas to she can hear voices from different perspectives. Mention to Carol that more than 10% of people in the general population have some type of disability, so we need more than one person representing children with special needs on the Council. Introduce Carol to the members of Chandler SEPAC.
* Social Media: Dena Berg created a page for Chandler SEPAC for the public. Sent invites to everybody to like our page. Dena will be updating the page with various articles surrounding inclusion and special education in the public school system. The page would also highlight individuals who are self advocates (Cole). Discuss issues with mobility
Looking forward to meeting with Dr. Nance and to the study session.
Agenda for Next Meeting
Meeting was adjourned at 9:10pm by Kristen Plamendon The next general meeting will be at ____October 30th, at the CUSD offices for Study session followed by meeting. 5:15pm_____________________________.
|Minutes respectfully submitted by: Amanda Rivas and Kara Swierz|
Looking forward to introducing the Chandler SEPAC to the CUSD board members via email. Attend a study session in the fall.
Agenda for Next Meeting
Discuss items we want to talk about at study session.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:10pm by Kristen Plamendon The next general meeting will be at 7pm on September 26th, at Panera Bread on Ocotillo/Arizona.
Minutes respectfully submitted by:
Amanda Rivas and Kara Swierz